Van Cortlandtville Historical Society - Where History Comes Alive
                                  THANKS FOR VISITING 
THE VAN CORTLANDTVILLE HISTORICAL SOCIETY
          We hope you will find out Web site interesting and informative. We update our site monthly with new information.
     We are located in the LITTLE RED SCHOOLHOUSE
           297 Locust Avenue,  Cortlandt Manor, NY 10567   
  Regular Business meetings, followed by a program, are held on the third Saturday of each month beginning at 2 p.m. 
                    (except as noted)  ..... July (Picnic)
    November (Annual luncheon)   December (Holiday Party)    
         
    THE VAN CORTLANDTVILLE HISTORICAL SOCIETY      CELEBRATING  " 96 "  YEARS OF HISTORY IN 2017

     SEE EVENT SECTION
FOR UPCOMING PROGRAMS

              Historic Little Red Schoolhouse  
The Van Cortlandtville Historical Society will host an Open House the first Sunday of each month from April to November... from 2 to 4 p.m., at The Little Red Schoolhouse, 297 Locust Avenue, Cortlandt Manor, New York.  The event is open free to the public. Visitors will be given a guided tour of the 19-century one-room schoolhouse, which until the mid-1970s was still functioning as part of the Lakeland Central School District.  The schoolroom and adjoining meeting room of the Society has books, photographs and classroom items dating back to that early era.   Light refreshments will be available. The Little Red Schoolhouse is located at the north end of Locust Avenue next to Old Saint Peter’s Church and cemetery, just south of Oregon Road in the Town of Cortlandt.  For more information:  Visit our website at www.vancort.net; or,
call (914) 736-7868-.    ____________________________      

         OPEN HOUSE SCHEDULE    
 FIRST SUNDAY OF EACH MONTH FROM 2-4 PM


 Sorry, the boat ride for August has been cancelled. Not enough sign ups to make it a go.... 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
               Saturday, September 16, 2017
        2 p.m.    Free and open to the public
                  
     HISTORY OF BANNERMAN'S CASTLE AND ARSENAL

 A TINY JEWEL ON THE HUDSON
 Why did businessman Francis Bannerman VI build an arsenal on Pollepel Island off the eastern shore of the Hudson River near Cold Spring in the early 1900's? What ultimately happened to this impressive fortress of munitions? 
Thom Johnson, a co-founder of The Bannerman Castle Trust, Inc., will relate the history and mystery of Bannerman's Island in a Power Point program of vintage photos, art work and current images of the site. He will illustrate the early heritage of the tiny island and expain why the military-minded Bannerman assembled the arsenal there starting in 1901. When did it shut down? And what caused its destruction  by fire in 1969?








A lifetime resident of the Hudson Valley, Mr. Johnson has been researching and then lecturing about the historic island and medieval-like castle for more than 45 years. Co-author of the Arcadia Images of America book--Bannerman Castle---he is a retired arts educator who believes in using historic sites to guide citizens of all ages on how to preserve and re-use these landmarks.


Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint